Exploring the Portrait and Figure
Classes for 2016 have been completed. Please sign up for news about our 2017 schedule.
Exploring the Portrait and Figure will occur the first weekend of every month from December 2015 to June 2016. The focus of these intensives is to develop a foundation of concepts and skills in painting the human portrait and figure in oil. Throughout the 14 class sessions, we attempt to cover all aspects of portrait and figure painting, from anatomy to seeing and capturing the colors and forms we see in the models, while developing a both critical and patient eye.
A Sample of Topics
- Anatomy: structure of the cranium, face and body, with extended focus on the features.
- Approaching the portrait: Posing the model, how to begin for maximum flexibility.
- Color and Tone, grisaille and limited palette approaches will be discussed.
- Resources, working with photographs, continuing to improve your skills.
- Developing an effective mindset, how to study with others for maximum artistic development.
Each class day Julie will demo in the morning, and the afternoon will be for students to apply what is being learned. One-on-one instruction and critiques will be added as needed by students.
Students will develop a confidence to pursue further portrait and figure study with an enhanced understanding of anatomy, as well as drawing, tone, value and color and edges through careful observation of live models in extended poses.